Monday, June 21, 2010

George Harrison on "Give Me Love (Give Me Peace on Earth)"

"I once read in the newspaper what Roger McGuinn, of the Byrds, had said. He was about the only one who spotted it, that 'My Sweet Lord' was a prayer, and that's all it was. I had a lot of letters from people saying, 'Oh, you're lost. Why don't you come to our church.' They missed the point. With 'Give Me Love,' again it was a personal thing for me and if anybody else got off on it, well, there it was. But it was awareness of what we need, just give me love, thank you. So, at that period, I was really involved and doing a lot of chanting on these little wooden beads during the whole session. It was just a personal thing. Sometimes you open your mouth and you don't know what you are going to say, and whatever comes out is the starting point. If that happens and you are lucky, it can usually be turned into a song. This song is a prayer and personal statement between me, the Lord and whoever likes it."



No comments: