Tuesday, January 24, 2006

Don't Pass Me By

AUTHORSHIP Starr (1.00)
STARR: "No, I haven't really got round to the idea of composing. I did think up one called 'Don't Pass Me By', but every time I played it to the lads, they would just laugh." (August, 1963) The Beatles Off the Record: Outrageous Opinions & Unrehearsed Interviews

STARR: "I'd write tunes that were already written and just change the lyrics, and the other three would have hysterics just tellin' me what I'd rewritten." Beatles Forever

RECORDED
June 5, 1968, at Abbey Road, with overdubbing June 6 and July 12 and an edit piece (the tinkling piano intro) recorded July 22

INSTRUMENTATION
McCARTNEY: bass
LENNON: acoustic guitar, tambourine
STARR: drums, piano, lead vocal (double-tracked)
SESSION MUSICIAN: country fiddle

"PAUL IS DEAD" Hysteria: This song contains lyrics about a car crash, which some people contrued as alluding to McCartney's supposed fatal crash in which he was decapitated.

This was a No. 1 hit in Scandinavia, where it was released as a single. Beatles Forever

No comments: